Sunday, June 29, 2008

Spirit Messenger






When you start a painting, and take a few steps forward, and realize it isn't what you had expected, you go back and start over. This is how it has been for me, take 2 steps forward and 3 steps back!
It was getting old and frustrating, but now it is starting to take on a life of it's own. It has been about 3 months in the making of this painting.

I went into NAPP and asked the membership for their critique for anything that I may have overlooked, or just didn't see, and this is the end result. I am very happy with this.
Let me talk about the painting just a little bit to shed some light on everything, for those of you that may be wondering. Among some Native American tribes, the "Hoot Owl" is respected and left alone, because of it's spiritual powers. I learned my lessons growing up on the Otoe rez here in Oklahoma. My Grandmother was Owl clan, also a shaman or healer. She knew Mother Nature like a giant pharmacy. She always knew what to use and how to prepare it. She was very gifted.
People would come from everywhere to see her. She never took money as payment, she only took 4 different material things as payment. She only followed the "old way". So when I paint a "Hoot Owl" painting I have to always remember my Grandmother. Thanks for looking..

No comments: