Thursday, May 28, 2009

Back in 72' till today, a brief bio..

I had a 2 government jobs that anyone would give to have. The first job I worked for the Dept. of Commerce on a US geodetic survey crew. We had 4 wheel drive trucks, we had to cut down trees in the Oregon country side to get to markers the government had set back around WW2. The trees had grown up around the markers. Once we got the trees cleared out of the way we moved our equipment in and we built towers that would stand above the tree line. We built the towers right on top of the markers. We would drop a plumb bob to set dead center over the marker. Then at a precise time would go back to the marker after dusk, climb the tower, and point a light toward a certain direction. Leave the light on till we got an all clear. We pointed the light toward a certain direction where the transit was set up. The transit would take the readings from that point to where we had the light shinning. The government could then determine how much the land mass has moved from the time after WW2. We would tear down the towers, and move on to the next location. The process would then repeat itself. I worked with guys from Ark., Missouri, Tex., and I being from Okla. We had a pretty good crew. Each one of us had to be at least 6'0" tall in order to build the towers.

Then later that year I moved back to Okla. and found my 2nd job with the government. I worked for the Dept. of the Interior at Chilocco Indian school, North of Newkirk, Okla. I worked on the farm, we had 4 wheel drive trucks there as well, plus tool boxes. We all had our own horses, saddles. We maintained over 500 white face cows, and 15 Hereford bulls. We pretty much did things the old fashioned way. We rounded up the cattle on horse back. Seperated the calves when they were big enough. Roped and branded them. When the vet came out we worked with him as well. Tagging all the calves with ear markers. Wormed, all the cattle.

We had over 2000 acres of farm land we worked. Cut wheat, bailed hay, plowed, and sewed wheat. It was a great job I would have loved to have kept.

This job like so many other jobs with the government was in the process of being cut. We were told that we needed to find different work. I then went to Continental Oil Co. in Ponca City in Dec. of 73'. They later called me in for testing. I passed the test and on Jan., 21, 1974 I began my career with Conoco.

Tomorrow some 35 years, 5 months later. I will have my retirement dinner. The company will present me with my career history, a picture of the refinery, and a retirement book all of my peers signed wishing me good luck. A lot of them will join me and my family at my luncheon.

My good friend Bob Ailey, along with his lovely wife Lenis, and their daughter Shannon will join me. Shannon and Bob will perform for me. Singing with their guitars. Shannon will also bring some of her CD's to sell to everyone. Shannon is a very talented young lady. Her and her husband will be performing at Noel, Missouri, at a camp they are running.

My wife, my younger brother Jim along with his wife, will be there. I guess this will be my last horah with ConocoPhillips. Just looking back at my working career, I had some pretty good jobs, and I am very thankful for that. I know there were lots of relatives that prayed for my success. Now I will offer thanks, for all I was blessed with, and ask for continued success with my retirement.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

james.pyles said...

Thanks for writing...and painting.